Wednesday, April 6, 2011

"It's a Family Affair" Part 1

The sun shines in through the blinds. Aaron opens his eyes and squints painfully toward the blinding light. He rolls over and looks at the floor next to the bed. Clothes, white powder, a few needles, a pipe, and an AK-47 are strewn casually across the floor. Aaron turns away from this scene of destruction to look at the woman sleeping next to him. Who is she? Oh... Suddenly he recognizes her. She was a good friend of his in elementary school, but they went their separate ways in middle school. He didn't recognize her last night, but now it all comes back to him. Aaron suddenly remembers all the fun times he had with her as a child.

Aaron remembers very clearly. He sees himself playing with this girl. Chelsea. That's her name. He is suddenly transported back to a time where he is learning how to play guitar and violin. He is painting pictures, and working on a science project. He runs to his mother and asks her what she'd like for dinner. She says she'd like spaghetti. He smiles at her lovingly and goes to the kitchen to make the meal with her. Later, after eating, he tells mom and dad that he has decided that he wants to be a scientist and find cures for various currently incurable illnesses, and also make artwork on the side. He is an ambitious little child who wants to help people and make beautiful things. He gets good grades, has many friends, and is artistically gifted.

Aaron smiles at these memories, then grimaces as he looks at himself in the mirror on the wall. He sees himself, emaciated with messed up fur that hasn't seen a shower in a week.

Chelsea wakes up. "Oh, my God, I had no idea you were a monkey!" she says.
Aaron says, "I'm not just a monkey. I'm Aaron. We used to be friends."
"Yes, we did," Chelsea says with a far away look.
"I'll make breakfast," Aaron says.
"Oh, thanks, but you don't have to..." Chelsea says drearily.
"I want to..." Aaron says.

Aaron is bummed out that he let his life become like this. What went wrong? He was such a good little kid. Fifteen years later he is a drug addict, a gun runner, and all his "love affairs" are paid for. He's also bummed out that Chelsea's life has also gone astray. She was also a good little kid. Very bright, attentive, and creative. Now she is no better off than he is. He wants to help her. He also wants to help himself. It won't be easy though.

As Aaron is making eggs in the kitchen he tries to think about what he did wrong and what he should fix in order to begin his journey down the road of helping himself and Chelsea. He nods as he realizes that reconnecting with his family is the first thing he should do.

"Hey, Chelsea, let me get your number. We'll keep in touch. I'll try to get you a good job and make everything better again for both of us. In the meantime, I need to go talk to my sister. She's all the family I've got now, and I need to talk to her," Aaron says solemnly.
"Yeah, OK," Chelsea says, and gives him her number.

Aaron gets in his car and drives home. He sits alone, staring at the phone. He picks it up and calls his sister.

"Hello?" his sister calls out at the other end of the line.
"Hey, Uma, it's Aaron. Don't hang up, I want to apologize."
"I wasn't going to hang up. Don't worry. I accept your apology. Are you OK?" Uma asks.
"No. I mean I was wasn't, but I want to be. I'm in between those two places right now. I just wanted to reconnect with you as I begin my journey toward fixing everything I've broken." Aaron whispers, choking back tears.
"Yeah, well, OK. Let's meet up and talk. I think that's best." Uma says.

Aaron and Uma meet up at Cafe Trieste. They talk about the last time they saw each other at their parents' funeral, which ended in a fight between the two of them, where Uma called Aaron a baby killer who deserved to die. She was very upset that her brother was in the killing industry.

"I want to do something else. This is just so wrong. And I want to help Chelsea." Aaron says, explaining  the current situation that opened his eyes.
"I can help you. That's what I do these days. I help people." Uma says, smiling at her brother.
"I'd like to help myself. But, thanks." Aaron sighs.
"I think you need my help." Uma whispers.

Aaron does need his sister's help. This is the most difficult help that Uma has ever had to give, however. This is not an advice session. Aaron has already given himself advice. Uma must help find her brother and Chelsea jobs, and rehabilitation. This is going to be a long journey. Uma is excited, though. She is up for the challenge.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm always a big fan of stories so your blog certainly draws me in. Though your plot line is fairly straight forward, you improve upon it by being creative. I particularly liked the way you started the story. Aaron wakes up, finds physical evidence of his current life and decides that he doesn't like it the way it is. So he embarks on a adventure to improve himself and also his friend. Most of us have experienced something similar to this and if you haven't you probably will at some point in your life. Very fun and relatable. I'm looking forward to see how things will progress!

Karina said...

I almost panicked, until I saw that there was a part 2. Poor Aaron. I can't say that I've ever found myself in this predicament, but I can relate through my own experiences that I do not wish to explain. I only hope that Uma can help poor Aaron and maybe even Chelsea.